The Pupil Premium is additional funding allocated to schools with pupils on roll that are:
- Eligible for Free School Meals
- In Looked After Care
- Have a parent in the Armed Services
Schools have the freedom to spend the Premium, which is additional to the underlying schools budget:
“In a way they think will best support the raising of attainment for the most vulnerable pupils.”
This money can be used for support and resources to directly support these children, or indirectly through releasing time for Teachers and Teaching Assistants to provide small group or individual support.
We use our funding as part of the school whole budget to:
- Release a Higher Level Teaching Assistant from classroom responsibilities to work on an individual or small group basis with pupils on programmes drawn up by a Speech and Language Therapist and provide resources.
- Release a Higher Level Teaching Assistant from classroom responsibilities to work on an individual or small group basis with pupils on programmes drawn up by Physiotherapist and provide resources.
- Commission Occupational Therapy.
- Subsidise the cost of activities (e.g. school visits) for children in receipt of Free School Meals.
In 2019-2020 Barndale House School received £16,170
Schools must spend the funding to improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils, but they are free to choose the best of way using of the money.
At Barndale House School we use Sports Premium Funding to:
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers and pupils
- access to suitable Sports Hall/Gym
- offering rebound therapy
- offering dance programmes
- provide existing staff with teaching resources to help them teach PE and sport
- access to swimming for all pupils
- support and involve children in sport by running a school sports club every week
- run sports activities with other schools